Few women walk away from the experience of abortion without some lingering emotional discomfort. Unresolved feelings of guilt, shame and sadness can set in shortly after an abortion or they may not surface until months or years later. To the outside world we appear to be leading normal lives, but these emotions can continue to cast a shadow, having a negative impact on personal relationships, colouring out outlook on life. These feelings, if ignored can possibly manifest themselves in more troubling ways, resulting in unstable relationships, low self-esteem, self-destructive and addictive behaviours.
No one told me it was okay to grieve for my baby.
Possible Post Abortion Symptoms
- Difficulty Bonding with Partner or Children
- Eating Disorder
- Feels like I “left that person behind”
- Inability to forgive yourself/guilt
- Intense grief / sadness
- Anger / rage
- Sexual problems or promiscuity
- Lowered self esteem
- Drug abuse
- Alcohol abuse
- Nightmares and sleep disturbances
- Suicidal urges
- Multiple abortions
- Pattern of repeat crisis pregnancy
- Discomfort around babies or pregnant women
- Fear / ambivalence of pregnancy
If you or someone you know is struggling after an abortion – our centre offers confidential, compassionate support through one to one counselling with a qualified counsellor and/or a monthly support group. All contact made with us is strictly confidential.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.